Michael McGrath, the only disabled person to have successfully reached both North and South Poles, was exclusively interviewed by Olan McGowan, presenter for RTE1’s Radio Programme ‘Outside The Box’ aired on Tuesday 24th January 2006
RTE [Radio Telefís Éireann] is Ireland’s leading public service broadcaster
The 30 minute interview covered a variety of topics including:
· Michael McGrath’s life, before and after being diagnosed with muscular dystrophy
· Family history including links with Ireland
· North and South Pole – what were they like?
· The aims of The Muscular Help Foundation
· Muscular Dystrophy Ireland – Have a Heart 14th Feb 2006 National Fundraising Campaign
· Professional life – inspirational / motivational speaker + diversity business
· Role as disABILITY Champion – Hilton Hotels [UK & Ireland]
Outside The Box
Described as the programme for and about people with disability. According to its presenter, the show “focuses on a sector of society which has traditionally been hidden away in Ireland. I like to think the programme highlights the specific problems facing those with disability in Ireland. For example, there are so many poverty issues concerned with disability; it can cost people significant money to be disabled, or to have disability in their family. Issues aside, the show is principally about people and their lives.
If I were to ask one thing of the general public out there it would be this: when you meet somebody with a disability, start from the premise that their “disability” is possibly the least interesting thing about them” [Olan McGowan].
The listener profile of ‘Outside the Box’ mainly covers the disability community across the whole of Ireland.
RTE [Radio Telefís Éireann] is Ireland’s public service broadcaster.
RTÉ, through all of its services, forms a major part of the infrastructure of Irish society.
The distinctive leader in Irish media, RTÉ provides a comprehensive and cost-effective broadcasting service to the Irish public on radio and television. Top